Updated: Jan 27, 2021
Can Meal Planning Really Make a Difference?
9 Reasons Why the Answer is Yes
What is all the fuss about the impact of meal planning anyway? Can it really make a difference? We say heck ya!! Here are nine reasons why you should think about getting in the habit of meal planning. It is a new year, start fresh and create new habits to last a life time and put a little less stress in your life. We will show you how you can save time and money (the Cabin Creek mantra) using this life hack.
1. Better utilization of the food you have on hand. Food that is already paid for waiting to be prepared. Start your meal planning out by creating dishes based on the ingredients you already have on hand. This saves both time and money grocery shopping
2. Save time by planning meals around your hectic family schedule. Know ahead of time you have a quick meal prepared on an evening you have errands to run, school or sports activities going on. Instant stress reduction knowing ahead of time what you are going fix to get everyone out of the house on time.
3. Save money by planning meals around seasonal fruits and vegetables that are more reasonable priced
4. Save money by decreasing food that can get wasted or like my fridge in the past, food rotted away only to be thrown out and not used!!! Ugh! That is such a waste. I don’t know if you can relate to this one but for me this one felt like a kick in the gut.
5. Preparing meals ahead of time means less trips for fast food and take out and eating healthier is a whole lot easier.
6. Planning meals hands down saves you money at the grocery store. You buy what you need and decrease the impulse purchases. If you can’t pass it up make sure you put it in the following week’s menu plan.
7. Get organized. Plan a day or evening when you can sit down and review your family’s schedule for the upcoming week and plan your meals according to your schedules. Start with a list. Make sure you do your meal planning before you head out to the grocery store. Meal planning saves you time and saves your family time when meals and schedules are tight.
8. Here is a killer for me. I hate going to the grocery store. Sorry if you enjoy it that is great but it is not my cup of tea. I am an introvert and crowds are not my thing lol! Here’s what I found out. If my meals are planned ahead of time that means 1 trip per week to the grocery store instead of 2, 3 or 4 because I am missing an ingredient. This is a huge time saver.
9. For those of us that live in a rural area some serious gas money can be saved by reducing multiple trips to the grocery store. If you are rural keep those lists going. If you use it write it down. This goes for all your household items not just your groceries.
Bonus Tip: I get it this all sounds really good but what if I don’t have a lot of extra time during the work week to prepare all these home-cooked and more health meals? This is the double-edged sword so to speak. In order for you to be successful and maintain this new habit it needs to be as easy as possible. You may consider a weekend day or evening to do some food prep. Chopping, cutting, slicing or dicing ahead of time can save you time during the work. This will cut down on meal prep time as well and so can be a big time-saver.
Here at Cabin Creek we want to get you started off fresh this New Year. We are going to have a 4 week meal planning zoom jam sessions where we can come together and get some meal planning ideas, recipes, and hints from others and how they do their meal planning. This will be both fun and help you get started off on the right foot with some great ideas.
Registration is free and participants will be limited to allow good interaction with others. We will be doing the live Meal Planning Zooms through February 14, 2021. Grab your seat and get all the details here and there just might be some surprises come zoom days! Feel free to make a comment below and share any meal planning tips you may want to share.
See you on the zoom. As always thanks for stopping by and spending a few minutes of your precious time with us.
Request to Join the Meal Planners Unite Facebook Group
Enjoy the printable to help you plan your meals and make your grocery list